Bernice Three Column

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Marvelous Music Monday - Songs from Broadway Musicals




Photobucket

Today's Theme for Monday's Music Moves Me is
Broadway Musicals
 
Standing on the Corner
from The Most Happy Fella (1956)

I could not find an original cast recording, but Dean Martin will do.

The Most Happy Fella is a 1956 musical with a book, music, and lyrics by Frank Loesser. The story, about a romance between an older man and younger woman, is based on the play They Knew What They Wanted by Sidney Howard. The original Broadway production ran for 14 months and it has enjoyed several revivals, including one staged by the New York City Opera.

The original production was partially bankrolled by Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. The 1957 I Love Lucy episode "Lucy's Night In Town" focuses on the Ricardos and Mertzes going to a sold-out performance. Three songs from the show are heard in scenes showing the characters sitting in the theater. At one point, Fred Mertz is inspired by the title to remark, "The guy is not married."--From Wikipedia

Ol' Man River
from Show Boat
I chose the 1951 version sung by William Warfield







Give My Regards To Broadway
from the musical, Little Johnny Jones (1904)
by George M. Cohan
I found a version of this song sung by George M. Cohan, Jr and The Guild Chorus



George M. Cohan, Jr and The Guild Chorus - Give My Regards to Broadway .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

"Give My Regards to Broadway" is a song written by George M. Cohan for his musical play Little Johnny Jones (initiated 1904 in a Broadway theater).
1904 sheet music cover

Cohan, playing the title character, sings this song as his friend is about to sail to America, looking for evidence aboard ship that will clear his name for allegedly throwing the English Derby.

Cohan's life's work centered around the Broadway stage, so this song is as much about him personally, as about a character in a play. It is, of course, replete with references to his adoptive city.

The sentimental song has been recorded many times. It was featured prominently in a solo song-and-dance sequence done by James Cagney in his Oscar-winning performance in the 1942 film about Cohan's life, Yankee Doodle Dandy. It was also covered by Al Jolson. --Wikipedia

I hope you enjoyed my choices for today honoring the Great White Way.



Share



12 comments:

  1. Love your choices. I had heard that corner one before but didn't know it was from a play. Dean was awesome. Old Man River is one of my favorites. Also, Give My Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard the Dean Martin song and really enjoyed it. The other two I know well and love. Oh, and I enjoyed you including the brief history of the songs.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've heard those songs before, but never knew the history behind them - how cool are you?? :) LOVE all your choices! Thanks so much for playing along with us again! :)

    this just in: Rise Above One – Boy Falls From The Sky Defying Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know your musicals!
    Wow! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. couple of awesome choices like the oldies they are def goodies come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so many i have never seen or heard of thanks for sharing great picks def oldies but goodies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - love it! I had heard of some but not all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost posted Old Man River... I love how low the voice goes, sooooo moving.
    I adore how you give such detailed info on each song. We not only get to hear great music, we get a history lesson, too. You are awesome!! Thanks for always playing along and being so wonderful about it. Looking forward to your choices next Monday - have a great week. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my mother would absolutely love you! She loved Dino! And actually should would've loved all these tunes today, but yours I didn't know any of this especial about Lucy & Desi. Where did you learn all this stuff. Really a great Post today girl! My hat is off to ya! Hope to see you next week too = definitely! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My God... that Old Man River gave me the chills!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive