Bernice Three Column

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Theatrical Thursday RECIPE - Katharine Hepburn Brownies

Here is a recipe that came from the 1975 edition of the Ladies Home Journal, where Katharine Hepburn gave her family's recipe for brownies.  We found them to be a nice fudgy and gooey brownie.

Katharine Hepburn Brownies


8 tbsp. unsalted butter,
   plus more for greasing
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1⁄4 cup flour
1⁄4 tsp. fine salt



1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and butter the paper.

2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to make a smooth batter. Add the flour, salt, and walnuts and stir until incorporated.

3. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Cut into squares and serve.  Makes 9 brownies, (we cut ours smaller).

A small tribute to Katharine Hepburn







Share


13 comments:

  1. WOw - these look yum and what great bit of history

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very nice video. I have never really seen any of her movies. Makes me want to .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I actually just make some from-the-box last night and need to finish them so I can try making these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Katharine Hepburn and these sound like really good brownies. I will be trying these really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds real good--could u make me some --hehe--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownies are my absolute favorite go to food and an after dinner treat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always a box girl, but I'm going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her I will love her brownies too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! These brownies look so good! Thank you for sharing her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well who doesn't love brownies and Katherine Hepburn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always looking to try a new brownie recipe...this one will be up next!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive