Bernice Three Column

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Twelth Night -- Here We Come A-Wasseling Plus RECIPE

Today is the eve of Epiphany

Twelfth Night

Twelfth Night is an English folk custom that marks the end of Christmas merrymaking and, in the ancient Celtic tradition, the end of the 12-day winter solstice celebration. On Twelfth Night, it was customary for the assembled company to toast one another from the wassail bowl. In Old English, wassail means "Be in good health," but the term also was applied to the drink itself (usually spiced ale).

Christmas Wassail
from: CDKitchen

Ingredients:
1 Gallon apple cider
27 whole cloves
8 cinnamon sticks
1 quart pineapple juice
1 can (6 ounce size) frozen orange juice concentrate

Mix all ingredients in a large crockpot and simmer.  Serve hot.

I like to use this recipe because it has no added sugar, and is non-alcoholic.  If you wish, you could keep some rum off to the side if any of your guest would like to spike it.

Here We Come A-Wassailing
performed by The King's Singers












Share


3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect drink for the cooler weather. I don't care for apple cider cold but I'll drink it like this. I also like that it's not too sweet. We don't consume alcohol so I'm glad this recipe doesn't have it. I'm pretty sure my daughter would enjoy it but not too sure about hubby. I really need to get a slow cooker b/c I've been collecting so many great recipes and I'm all for easy food prep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were to use alcohol what kind would you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most recipes don't call for any alcohol, but you can add whiskey or bourbon. How much? Depends upon what tastes the best to you.

      Delete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive