Bernice Three Column

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Serene Sunday--Non Nobis Domine--Henry V

From Henry V (1989) starring Kenneth Branagh
Non nobis, is a short Latin hymn used as a prayer of thanksgiving and expression of humility. The Latin text derives from Psalm 113:9 (according to the Vulgate numbering), which corresponds to Psalm 115:1 in the King James Version.
It reads...
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis,
Not to us, Lord, not to us
Sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
But to Thy name give the glory


I do so much like to post something on Sunday that is soothing and relaxing.  I know that the scene from Henry V is just right after the Battle of Agincourt, but this song is such a beautiful arrangement of a Bible verse.

A little bit of trivia 
The boy being carried by Kenneth Branagh is Christian Bale.
Kenneth Branagh was also Professor Lockheart in the Harry Potter movie, Chamber of Secrets.




Share





If you like this post, comment and share with your friends.

8 comments:

  1. I love coming to your site because you always manage to find some of the best videos, music, etc.I love this one and I never heard of it before. Truly brings serenity to this beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this song. Our choir at our church did it once, and then I found this video and play it often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty song. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party. Hugs and wishes for a lovely week ahead. P.S. The new giveaway has started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Katherine, and I will be entering your new giveaway.

      For anyone else interested, you can find it here:
      A Cutey Giveaway at Katherine's Corner

      Delete
  5. I love that verse in the bible! There is another song I know that has the verse in it! Thanks for the reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not believe I have ever heard that song before. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive