Bernice Three Column

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Marvelous Music Monday - Marvin Hamlisch

 Today's Marvelous Music Monday is dedicated to the memory of Marvin Hamlisch


The musical world has lost a great composer this month, Marvin Hamlisch.  I have loved many of his works.  He was one of of only eleven EGOTs.  What is an EGOT?  It is someone who has won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award, plus a Pulitzer Prize winner, too.  What an accomplishment!  Part of Hamlisch's repertoire are The Way We Were, the Bond movie theme The Spy Who Loved Me, Ice Castles, A Chorus Line, Three Men and a Baby, just to name a few.   Yesterday, I featured on my Serene Sunday post, a beautiful instrumental version of "What I Did for Love," from A Chorus Line.  His last score was The Informant!, which starred Matt Damon in 2009.

"Nobody Does It Better"
From The Spy Who Loved Me
Performed by Carly Simon

From Ordinary People
An arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D by Marvin Hamlisch


"Looking Through the Eyes of Love"
performed by Melissa Manchester
from the movie, Ice Castles


Another of Marvin Hamlisch's arrangements, that he won a Academy Award for
"The Entertainer" from The Sting

What was your favorite from Marvin Hamlisch?

Photobucket

Want to play along?  It's simple!
1.  Find your music--YouTube, or anywhere you can embed on your post.
2. Grab "Monday's Music Moves Me" Button (Located Here)
3. SIGN LINKY, Follow us, grab our buttons & leave us a comment.
Finally, Boogie down to your Fellow Rockin' Bloggers on our Linky or bring some back with you to join us!
At Royalegacy, you will only find family friendly music.  I cannot say the same for the other sites that are linking up to this hop.
This week's theme is a Freebie.  Just post whatever music that you wish.  It your music does contain anything explicit, please say so in the linky.





Do you have a family friendly blog? Please comment, and leave a link to your blog. I would love to come on over to visit.

12 comments:

  1. I love "The Sting". My husband's friend can play it on the piano, and I just sit there in amazement. It's great to watch someone play it. Love your other choices too. I haven't heard them in so long. It's nice to hear old favorites. Have a rockin' week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a couple of these songs are thought provoking to me...nice reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices and a wonderful tribute, Danielle!
    I have not heard them for awhile so I truly appreciate you posting them!
    Mine is here
    Have you a ROCKING AND WEEK!!!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous picks! It's great to be re-introduced to common musical hits with a wee bit of history. Like I didn't know who Marvin Hamlisch was until now and further more I didn't realize he had passed. He was quite an accomplished composure. Thanks for sharing your selections with us. I love them all! You're doing a fab job as co-host this month - keep rockin' girl! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very cool choice and a beautiful tribute to a talented guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love all of these and Of course, "The Way We Were", with Streisand. His talent will be missed but his music will live on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say I did not know who this guy was, but I'm familiar with a few songs of his and had an 'ah-ha' moment.

    I didn't realize he had passed away; like Lucy said, his music will definitely live on!

    Thank you for sharing with us today and I hope you have a musical week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Yes, Yes!! Fabulous choice.
    and I confess, I started to tear up on the Ice Castles one. I can still remember when I conquered The Entertainer on the piano as a child. Great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know what an EGOT means. I remember hearing this before, but forgot.

    Very wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing such great finds!

    Aloha :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your selection very much! Guess I remember Carly Simon's voice better than any antics 007 did in The Spy... Such is the power of music, isn't it? And Looking Through The Eyes of Love - I love it too very much, reminds me of so many weddings :)

    Thanks for dropping by my nook. I finally convinced Mr Youtube Embed to let me borrow Neil Sedaka, lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love soundtrack songs! I don't have a Marvin favorite, but those were some great choices.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive