Bernice Three Column

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Marvelous Music Monday - That's What I Want for Christmas - December 10, 2012


"That's What I Want for Christmas"
sung by Shirley Temple


This song was originally written for the Shirley Temple movie Stowaway.  Written in 1935, it is a typical song of the depression era.   Still so sweet that a child's wish is not for herself, but for others at Christmas.  Children could still learn a lesson from this song.

Make my mommy's life a song;
Keep my daddy safe and strong;
Let me have them all year long;
That's what I want for Christmas.
Let my dolls be made of rags,
Fireman hats of paper bags,
Just write "Love" on the Christmas tags;
That's what I want for Christmas.

When I wake up Christmas day,
I would like to find a sleigh;
but if I don't, dear Santa Claus,
I will not complain because
What I really want is this;
Sister's mile and brother's kiss,
Fill our land with peace and bliss
From main down to the Isthmus;
That's what i want for Christmas.

I don't want electric trains,
Twenty dollar aeroplanes.
Free our friends of aches and pains;
That's what I want for Christmas.
I like boots with tops of blue
Like my little sisters do;
So, if you leave them leave a few;
That's what I want for Christmas.

When the reindeer pass my house,
I'll be quiet as a mouse.
But, when I wake up, let me see
Marching round the Christmas Tree
Animals that never bite,
Never giving any fright,
Soldier boys who never fight;
That's what I want for Christmas.
Yes, that's what I want for Christmas.


8 comments:

  1. So was this one in a movie? I know every one of her movies, but never heard this song. Totally cool. Thanks for sharing. She was just so darn cute. HAPPY HOLIDAYS my friend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always come up with the best music!!! Shirley Temple is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Shirley! I love this selection!

    Have a fun week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tearing up because my late grandmother used to love to watch Shirley Temple movies. This was a holiday favourite and I can remember singing this song. Such a great, great memory - it feels like she is right here by the fire listening with me. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete

I love and do read all of your comments. If you have a family friendly blog, please leave your link so I can come by and visit. Any content that is not family friendly or that is spam will be removed without prejudice.

Blog Archive