Bernice Three Column

Monday, June 1, 2015

#Recipe - Grandma's "Cleaned Up" Greened Up Milkshake


Did you know that June is the National Fresh Fruits and Vegetable Month?  It is, and I have a great recipe for you that I would like to share that your kids will love, Grandma's "Cleaned Up" Greened Up Milkshake.  It's not your ordinary milkshake, but a cool smoothie that kids are just going to love.

This "milkshake" recipe comes to us from Vicki Marquez, the author of The Rootlets: Super Rootabilities.

"When I was a little girl I would swoon over my grandma’s chocolate-peanut butter-banana milkshakes. I remember watching, with giddy anticipation, as she would drown one lonely banana in a whopping plop of vanilla ice cream, a gigantic spoonful of Jif, a downpour of whole milk and an avalanche of gooey chocolate syrup – to make a blender full of creamy-velvety-peanut-buttery bliss.

I would slurp that milkshake down and then tell my grandma that it tasted like love. And while L.O.V.E. was definitely the sweetest ingredient in my shake…it was overruled by the refined, processed, sugary J.U.N.K.

I’ve cleaned up and greened up the ingredients of this nostalgic beverage, giving it a super healthy twist -- and now when I make it for my grandma, she swoons and tells me that it still tastes like love…it must be the banana!" - Vicky Marquez

Grandma's "Cleaned Up" Greened Up Milkshake
by Vicky Marquez

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 banana
  • 2 heaping handfuls of spinach
  • 2 to 3 pitted dates
  • 1 ¼  cup of almond milk (or coconut milk)
  • 1 scoop of maca powder 
  • 1 scoop of cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp of raw crunchy almond butter
  • 3 ice cubes
  • A sprinkle of love (optional but highly recommended)

DIRECTIONS

Add all ingredients to a blender, blend until smooth and enjoy.


The Rootlets: Super Rootablilities, by Vicky Marquez, is a book to help children develop of love of vegetables.
The Rootlets are four fun-loving, adventurous kids, Brocc, Carrotina, Kaley and Cornelius, who have veggie hair and healthy habits. They are on a mission to help save their world, only they don't know it yet! 
Join them in their whimsical, plant-based world, Planet Planted, and come along as they learn about their superhuman powers "their Rootabilities" and embark on a mysterious journey of self-discovery, humor, and unexpected surprise.
Help your kids learn about the power of vegetables.  Get them the book, The Rootlets: Super Rootabilities.  Find this book at Amazon!  For more information or to join The Rootlets fan club visit www.therootlets.com.


The information above was provided to me for free to pass along to my readers.  I received no compensation for this post.  All opinions are my own.

8 comments:

  1. That's a great update to your grandma's recipe. Thanks.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds pretty good! I'm not sure I would like the spinach added to it, but I'd be willing to give it a shot since I love milkshakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's different. I don't even know half of those ingredients. Hmmm well to each there own. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy WOW! This looks amazing!!! I've pinned it, and I'm super excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful. I add kale and spirulina but have never added spinach. I love the addition of dates for a little sweetener.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely different, but also definitely worth a try. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how was it? Sounds different. I guess I would probably give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive