Bernice Three Column

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Chef De Temple High Precision Digital Thermometer Review



My husband is the big chef of the family, but I do cook dinner a few times a week.  When I cook, I like to know that I am serving my family and friends foods that are cooked to the proper temperature.   If it's undercooked, I run the risk of food poisoning; if it's overcooked, then what I am serving will probably be dry and tough.  My husband just knows when something is done perfectly, but I have trouble telling.  I needed a good thermometer that I can read to make sure my meals are cooked to the proper temperature.

With many thanks to Chef DeTemple, I received one of their high precision digital thermometers to review.  I can't tell you how much this has helped my cooking.  I am serving meals at just the right temperature now.  The meats are perfectly cooked and are nice and juicy.  It is so satisfying to cook better.


This digital thermometer is one of those fold-up models that take less room in drawer as it's only 6" when folded.   When you open it up it instantly turns on, and the probe (4.5") starts to instantly read the temperature.  I found that it gave me the temperature of the room perfectly.  To turn off, just close it, or, if you do leave it open, it will automatically shut off in 10 minutes.


The Chef DeTemple digital thermometer has a nice large LCD display that is very easy to read.  I'm getting older now, and my once 20-20 vision needs a little help.  Having this larger display keeps me from having to put my glasses on when I check the temp.  It will instantly read the temp of your foods in only 4-7 seconds accurately measuring range of temperatures between -58°F-572°F (-50°C-300°C). Long stainless steel probe to keep your hands safe from heat!


One thing I always worry about is food bourne illness.  That's why I tend to overcook my food.  I am very susceptible to even a hint of bad bacteria in foods.  Using a food thermometer greatly reduces your risk of foodborne illness associated with bacteria. The harmful bacteria found in contaminated food can only survive up to a certain temperature, and using a food thermometer is the only way to be 100-percent sure that your food is safe to eat.  Remember, you may think you have the 24 hour flu, but, in fact, you may have food poisoning.  You can have a bought with food poisoning up to 72 hours after eating bad food.

Here's a Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart (as recommended by the USDA) so that you know at what temp is safe to eat your meats.

ProductMinimum Internal Temperature and Rest Time
Beef, Pork, Veal and Lamb
Steaks, chops, roasts
145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
Ground meats160 °F (71.1 °C)
Ham, fresh or smoked (uncooked)145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
Fully Cooked Ham
(to reheat)
Reheat cooked hams packaged in USDA-inspected plants to 140 °F (60 °C) and all others to 165 °F (73.9 °C).

ProductMinimum Internal Temperature
All Poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, and wings, ground poultry, and stuffing)165 °F (73.9 °C)
Eggs160 °F (71.1 °C)
Fish and Shellfish145 °F (62.8 °C)
Leftovers165 °F (73.9 °C)
Casseroles165 °F (73.9 °C)

When you use a thermometer to check the temperature of your foods, you do need to know where to place.  If you don't put it in the right place, you will not get the correct temperature.  Cooked food is safe only after it's been heated to a high enough temperature to kill harmful bacteria. Food thermometers should be placed in the thickest part of the food and should not touch bone, fat, or gristle.

Use the chart below for a complete list of correct thermometer placement:

FoodThermometer Placement
Beef, Pork or Lamb RoastsInsert in center of the thickest part, away from bone, fat and gristle.
Hamburgers, Steaks or ChopsInsert in the thickest part, away from bone, fat and gristle.
Whole PoultryInsert in thickest part of thigh, avoiding bone.
Whole TurkeyInsert in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest area, avoiding bone.
Poultry PartsInsert in the thickest area, avoiding bone.
Ground Meat and PoultryInsert in the thickest area of meatloaf or patty; with thin patties, insert sideways reaching the very center with the stem.
Egg Dishes and CasserolesInsert in center or thickest area of the dish.
FishInsert in the thickest part of fish when fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
Game AnimalsInsert in center of the thickest part, away from bone, fat and gristle.
Game BirdsInsert in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.


Use the Chef DeTemple Digital Thermometer at your next BBQ.  It's so easy to use!


Check the temperature of your baby's bottle to be sure you are not giving baby something too cold or too hot.  Also perfect to use for when you make candy, to check the temp of water, etc.  Eliminate the guesswork!

Comes in a nice box for storing.
Now I don't have to worry about ruining another meal ever again by serving dry, tough, overcooked meat.  I have found that you can't only use cooking time to determine doneness.  You're cooking will probably end up like my meals used to with some pieces being cooked perfectly and others over or underdone - not to mention burnt!  When cooked to the proper temperature, meat will stay juicy and tender. You can easily acheive perfect results by using the Chef DeTemple High Precision Digital Thermometer.



I am so happy with this high precision digital thermometer from Chef DeTemple.  The big LCD numbers are so easy to see.  I don't know how I got along without it.  I even catch my husband using it.  Get the Chef DeTemple Digital Thermometer at Amazon today!  It does require one AAA battery.  If you are not completely satisfied with it, you are protected with Chef DeTemple's no-questions-asked Money Back Guarantee and World Class Customer Service!


Disclosure: I received the High Precision Digital Thermometer and a small compensation in exchange for an honest review from Chef DeTemple.  Regardless, all opinions are 100% my own.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Barb, a digital one would be cool! I cook a lot and am always worried about making sure that meat is cooked to an acceptable temp. Because I don't have a thermometer I tend to overcook meat (especially chicken) and it ends up dry. This would put my mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

Blog Archive